Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Travels.....Off the Farm

I am sitting here catching up on all that I missed over the past week. Jack and I spent a restful week in Vero Beach Florida...catching up on reading and soaking in the sun (in healthy doses, of course.) Vero Beach is a quiet mid-East coast Florida resort town and we caught it on an off-season week. As a result, the town was very quiet, the beach was deserted and the sidewalks were rolled up by 5 PM each evening. The weather was perfect: each day being sunny and warm (85) with a cooling breeze blowing in from the sea. Because of the sea breeze, there were no appreciable bugs to pester us.

On Saturday we took a road trip across Central Florida to Fort Myers on the West Coast to see Ryan play in the College Club Baseball World Series. He was brought in as relief pitch in that game and their team ended up winning the game. Jack was so proud of him....what a great pitcher he is. His team continued to play throughout the coming week and as of Memorial Day, they were still winning. Ryan pitched the entire game on Memorial Day and the other team scored no runs.....way to go Ryan!

But back to the roadtrip....we encountered swarms of icky, gooey bugs that splatted all over our car. It was like driving through black hail. Apparently there is this twice-a-year phenomenon in the South called the LOVE BUG

Good food and great company made the week complete. I am posting a picture of me on the beach....the apron I am wearing is not my own, but rather one that belonged to the condo in which we stayed (sadly, I forgot my own). My friend (Georgeann) at Mary Jane's farm is collecting pictures of farmgirls "off the farm"....so here it is. I must also add that Dorothy was so right...."there's no place like home!" It is so great to be back home and back on the farm!!

No comments: